Monday, April 23, 2007

Plans

I've got an exciting week ahead of me. I am attending a black-tie Nursing Gala at the Beau Rivage in Gulport tomorrow night. I tried to find other nursing students to go with me but they were all too wrapped up in school work to do it. I will be going stag. One of these days I'm going to get to wear a pretty dress and NOT be all by my lonesome (although not anytime soon, it appears). I don't really know what to expect tomorrow night but it will be fun to get dolled up and go out on the town.

This weekend I am going to Displace Me, an event associated with the people who made the video on the Invisible Children that I posted below. There are 15 locations around the country where people will band together to 'experience displacement' being fed rationed saltines and water and sleeping under cardboard boxes. Documentaries will be shown and letters to senators will be written. It stands to be a very unique experience. I am taking my camera and my video camera and I hope to be able to capture some inspiring photos. The plight in Africa is always a tear-jerker for me, so any pictures of myself will definitely be taken early on in the evening.

One day I hope to go to Africa and offer humanitarian aid. I want to vaccinate and educate on how to stay healthy. I want to help build infrastructure, even if it is only in one small village. I want to help one child get the education needed to help the people in his or her home pull themselves out of the mire. Lofty, dreamy goals, I know. Reality has never stopped me from pursuing my dreams before, why should it with something as important as this?

0 comments: