Sunday, April 15, 2007

After the Rain

When I woke up yesterday morning the sky was falling. The cats were freaking out and eventually the tornado siren went off. Luckily Hattiesburg is in a geographic bowl (or protected by an Indian blessing, depending on who you ask) and the only tornadoes that I've ever heard of coming into the city were during Katrina- which was eerie as all hell. The storm eventually passed, taking the tornado (they are only called twisters in the mid-west) with it. Once it moved on the sun came out to create a gorgeous afternoon. I walked over to campus and took these photos.





I watched Lost in Translation the night before last. I like that movie more every time I see it. I hated it the first time I watched it. I felt particularly in tune with it this viewing. The story is about a young woman who befriends an older man while her new husband is out pursuing a career and having a social life separate from their relationship. They love each other but they are living parallel lives, not a simultaneous one. Wesley and I are going strong, but I can relate to the female lead. Walter, my gay, blind, middle-aged neighbor, has become my Bill Murray- minus the odd sexual tension. Besides the similarities in two the relationships Scarlett and I are having, I think we are a lot alike in how we view the world and ourselves. There is one example I am thinking of- that will make this ramble cohesive with the rest of the post once you read it- that talks about photography.

Scarlett Johanson says "My pictures are very 'Girl goes through photography stage.' " I laughed hard enough to garner the cats' attention. She captured how I feel about my photos to a T. I still feel like my photos are missing a certain panache. I'm going to try and start carrying my camera everywhere with me. Maybe then I will be able to take more inspiring pictures.

Any suggestions are welcome.

6 comments:

Lanna said...

hi there stumbled upon ur blog just had to say awesome pictures, love the airfreshner in puddle.

Eryn said...

Hi Lanna. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you liked the pictures.

Becky said...

Great pics. HATE Scarlet Johannsen. I don't even get the "she's so hot" thing. But that's just me. :)

Eryn said...

Thanks Becky. :)

I don't understand the 'hottness' factor either. She seems pretty plain looking to me. Maybe the guys are seeing something we don't.

Anonymous said...

that is the secret. a quantity of images will produce quality eventually. it's a numbers game. so many failures for one good shot. or so many practices, depending on how you look at it.
let's have imaginary lunch some time, since i can't afford a real one.

Eryn said...

OOOoh, imaginary lunch where we can talk about our imaginary boyfriends. Sounds like a plan. Gimme a call.