Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Weekend get-away

Wesley and I met in Atlanta this past weekend. I like to think of it as 'our holiday from the holidays.' I had a wonderful time. As close as Atlanta is (5-6 driving hours), I've only ever passed through and never visited.

We went to the Georgia Aquarium on Saturday. It is the world's largest aquarium and simply amazing. I reverted to child-like fascination from the moment we stepped inside. I loved the underwater tunnel where you could watch the whale-sharks and rays swim above you. The rays were graceful and mesmerizing to watch. The otters were the most playful of all the animals. I tried to get some pictures of them, but they moved too quickly and the glass between us was dirty.

After the aquarium, we went out to dinner with Wesley's brother, who lives in Atlanta, and his date. The tappas bar was another new experience for me. The food was great; I just hope I didn't take more than my fair share. I can be quite greedy for good food. At random intervals, 'performers' would come out and do their thing. There was a drag queen, two clothed strippers, a man and son spinning plates, and artists who would paint in stations around the room. The place was so hip it couldn't stand itself.

Intermezzo, on the other hand was a genuinely cool place. It was a coffee shop that served coffee, tea, coffee and liqueur, and a broad selection of amazing cakes. The atmosphere was very warm and elegant. I wish I could have taken a picture, but even if I could have I don't think it would have properly captured the feel.

Sunday morning we had breakfast delivered to the room. It was a very romantic little luxury. Wesley was doing sweet little things all weekend that made me feel quite pampered and taken care of. It had a very calming effect on me, as I could just relax in the comfort of knowing that I was loved.

That afternoon we went to Ikea. We had a lot of fun going through the furniture and decorations and picking out what we could see in the imaginary home we will one day share. It was a great catalyst for other conversations about how we see our life playing out in the future. I imagine it was a little challenging for Wesley to not try and change the subject at every turn, and I appreciate his willingness to discuss these things with me. I am beginning to see that maybe he really has turned over a new leaf, and I like it.

I was supposed to drive back home from Atlanta Sunday evening, but I was so sad at the thought of parting. I, instead, followed Wesley up to Asheville and stayed the night, to get up and drive early the next morning. I think it was a great decision. When I'm in Asheville with Wesley, it feels like home.

We went to a concert at some hip little club. The opening band Aberdeen City was incredible. The lead singer had a great voice, the drummer had boundless energy and great talent, and the sound was hard, but clean.

Then came Rasputina. The band is two ladies with cellos and a drummer. They have a unique sound, and bring quite a unique following. The goth kids came out in full force. The brave ones were loud and annoying, and the others would have made themselves smaller if they had the super powers they probably read about in fantasy novels. I guess when you live in a city that is pretty rebellious against The Establishment already, you have to work even harder to rebel against the people around you so that you can stand out and get some attention.

It was hard to come home, but I am so grateful that Wesley and I have been able to see each other as much as we have since he moved. All in all, I think I'm a pretty lucky girl.


*I should have pictures of the aquarium up in the gallery soon.

0 comments: