Monday, October 02, 2006

paper mountains

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top. Here's where the things grow."
~Robert M. Prisig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I've been reading this book off and on since school started. It starts out as a story about a man and his son on a motorcycle road-trip. Before you know it, he has you contemplating Reason, Education, Quality and many other concepts of the higher altitudes, as he would say.
I was reading it just now to calm my nerves about this test I have in an hour. It was that gem that I quoted above that did it for me. I try to remember that I am learning this material so that I will be a safe nurse, and not so that I will pass the test. Today I wasn't able to get past the test. I have been a nervous wreck for some reason.
I now feel like I am ready to take this test and put it behind me. The test is just a few sheets of paper. It's the quality of what I have learned that will make a difference in the end.




(I wrote this before class this morning, but the website was being a little screwy, so I am reposting it now.)

0 comments: