Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Be Aware


By now most of you have probably figured out that I think it is important to be aware of what is going on around the world. Awareness is the first step in reducing the problems our world faces today. I may not have a time slot to speak to the Senate about things we can do to reach the MDGs, but one day I may be able to share concrete information with someone who gets that opportunity in the future. The more aware we all are, the louder the voice that cries out against inequity becomes.

I have recently found two websites that give information about the state of the world in very concrete and statistical ways. I prefer to learn about things this way because I've come to resent each picture of a starving child that tries to compel me to action. For one thing, motivation must be intrinsic for one. And two, the bloat of so many humanitarian efforts has made me very cynical to private causes (see the post below).

If you have the time, check out these two very informative websites:

CIA World Factbook

and

Human Development Report

0 comments: