Friday, February 02, 2007

Was it good for you?



Don't be ashamed, my friends. I, too, had an iGasm when the new iPhone came out. I was taken in by the shiny touch-screen, the bold, child-like icons, and the ability to watch movies while I drive my car.

I decided before Monsieur Jobs was through with his litany, that I must have one of those glorious gadgets! I knew, in my soul of souls, that once I had the iPhone, people would just know that I was important and my life was SO busy that it took the genius of Apple to keep me organized, connected, and entertained.

Then I realized that the phone will probably weigh more than my stethoscope and I'll end up having to get it one of those silly gadget-condoms that protect it from scrapes and chips. That is a major loss of cool-points and I'm just not sure my fragile ego can handle that kind of damage.

For now, I will stick with my utilitarian Motorola flip-phone. It may not have bells and whistles, but it's got a ring tone and volume control. It keeps me in touch with my honey-pie and doesn't relent when I'm in elevators or subterranean vaults, on highways or under the covers. It always gives me what I need, the voice on the other end of the line. So what if I've got mail? I've got two computers that work just fine for that...for now.

2 comments:

Claire said...

The Japanese have a name for people who are mad about collecting every new gadget that comes along. It's a very cool thing to be. I forgot that name. It was on a computer show, shows what a geek I am, especially in my tv viewing. However, I'm not smart enough to learn how to use all those inventions. Nonetheless I can ooh and aah with the best of them. The point is you're staying connected. You go Girl!

Eryn said...

Whoo hoo! I think it's cool that I'm hip by Japanese standards (at least someone thinks I'm hip. Ha!).

BTW- I had comment moderation turned on for some reason and didn't see that you had written. It's all fixed now, and I appreciate your feedback. :)