Monday, July 24, 2006

Salvation Through Nudism

The domestic demi-goddess in me had her way with my kitchen this weekend. The layer of cocoa powder on the counter top and splatters of spaghetti sauce on the stove are a loud reminder of the fun I had. I haven’t gotten the nerve to clean it up yet; not because of laziness, but because I like the way it makes my kitchen looked lived-in and used.

The truffles I made were not half bad. I made three varieties: ginger and allspice, peanut butter, and almandine. The ginger and allspice ones were divine. While I was working I got it in my head that I should open a truffle shop. By the time I finished designing the shop layout, advertising, credo, and premise of my store I was finished making the truffles. It was a very relaxing evening. Solitude has its rewards.

I have also been reading You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe. He had this to say:

"They, too, had begun as seekers after truth, but had suffered some eclipse of vision and had ended as champions of some limited brand of truth. They were the ones who became the special pleaders for things as they are, and their names grew fat and sleek in the pages of The Saturday Evening Post and women's magazines. Or they became escapists and sold themselves to Hollywood, and were lost and sunk without a trace. Or, somewhat differently but following the same blind principle, they identified themselves with this or that group, clique, faction, or interest in art or politics, and led forlorn and esoteric little cults and isms. These were the innumerable small fry who became the literary Communists, or single-taxers, or embattled vegetarians, or believers in salvation through nudism. Whatever they became- and there was no limit to their variety- they were like the blind men with the elephant: each one of them had accepted some part of life for the whole, some fragmentary truth or half-truth for truth itself, some little personal interest for the large and all-embracing interest of mankind. If that happened to him, how, then, could he sing America?"

0 comments: