Friday, May 23, 2008






One of the coolest things about Asheville is the fact that a 30 minute drive (or less really) will afford you some amazing hiking. Wednesday night after Wesley and his coworker Patrick got off work at 5:00 we went for a three mile in/three mile out hike at Looking Glass Rock. At the top of the hike there is a bald overlooking a spectacular terrain. The weather was perfectly mild and the trees are the greenest they will be all year.

We stayed on the bald until sunset thinking that the hike downhill would be a quick one. It were about halfway down the switchback trail when it got so dark we had to pull out the one headlamp we had. The trail looked like a whole different place at night. The lightning bugs made me feel like I was in a fairy tale; the crying cougar made me realize I was not. The silence was peaceful but there was so much life in the woods that I never felt isolated. It was quite an adventure and I can't wait to go camping up there.

0 comments: