Friday, March 14, 2008

A Cat Story

Today I took Sasha to the vet. You remember Sasha, don't you?

The sweet baby has been puking up a storm for two weeks now. The first week and a half she produced enough hairballs to knit a sweater. The rest of the time she has been throwing up her food and dry heaving. Let me tell you something, cat-retching is not something you want to wake up to for too many mornings in a row. What a foul, awful, pitiful sound!

Sasha was such an angel today. She got into her carrier with no trouble, loved on the vet-techs and in general, won over hearts across the board. I was such a proud Momma. I won't even Begin to tell you what kind of terror Chloe is at the vet.

Sasha was given fluids subcutaneously, and intramuscular anti-nausea medication and antacids. She is to be started on a bland diet of Gerber Baby pureed chicken tomorrow, along with more antacids and hairball treatment. She got more attention from the vet, and more detailed instructions on care than any doctor has Ever given me regarding my health, including my surgery back in November. Lucky dog... er, cat!

When we got home from the vet after barely an hour away, Chloe was furious at us both! She could not contain her jealousy that I went somewhere with Sasha and not her. She growled and hissed at Sasha, sniffed at the carrier trying to gather clues as to where we had been, and glared at me like she might burn holes through my head. She can be such a spiteful cat. Luckily, she eventually calmed down and everything seems to be back to normal now.

All of this got me thinking. I wonder if cats think it is strange that humans take off their fur on a daily basis? What do you think?

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm sure that Sasha was upset because Cloe SMELLED like the vet clinic. Cats have very sensitive noses. I hope this the end of cat puking! I swear it is the sound that will get me to leap from my bed faster than any alarm clock ever made by man!

Peggy said...

Other way around - Cloe was upset because Sasha smelled of the vet!

Eryn said...

It seems the puking has subsided. Lucky cat has been eating tuna from the can while her tummy rests.